Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tunesday Tuesday - Calvin Johnson

Tunesday Tuesday - Calvin Johnson
First off, I love K Records! K is my favorite indie record label. It has been since I was in high school. So there is no question that I am a fan of Calvin Johnson, founder and musician of K Records. He is most well known for Beat Happening, but also bands like Dub Narcotic Sound System, Halo Benders, the Hive Dwellers, and his solo records, too. Why do I love Calvin and K records so much? I think it is cos their mission statement reads "K explodes the teenage underground into passionate revolt against the corporate ogre world-wide."

Calvin.
Over the years I have seen many live shows that feature Calvin, one of the most memorable was one for the Paper Opera tour, where my friend and I ended up at a cook out with the show attendees. We all had tofu pups, played dominos, and got caught in a thundershower after the Paper Opera. It was amazing and strange at the same time.

Dub Narcotic Sound System, Pittsburgh, PA - 2
Calvin is a great dancer. I love watching him "shake a puddin'" when he performs with Dub Narcotic. Here he is dancing at a show from about 2000 or so.

Dub Narcotic Sound System, Pittsburgh, PA - 2

Dub Narcotic Sound System, Pittsburgh, PA - 1

calvin johnson
I love Calvin solo cos he still dances, but he has the best voice. Here he is at the Warhol Museum, 2005.

calvin

calvin rocks the audience

calvin sings before the kickball game.
Another favorite Calvin show was the one here in Athens that was at a local park and baseball field. This show started at 11am, so it was fun to get up early on a summer Saturday and see some music! We had a great time, and watched some kickball that happened that day, too.

who is ready for kickball?

dancing at the kickball game.

me and calvin
And here we are at Flicker with a lovely sock monkey. Calvin, if you are reading this, you inspire me to no end!

No comments:

Post a Comment