Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tunesday Tuesday: the B-52's

The B-52's at the Classic Center 2
Today marks the 35th anniversary of one of my all time favorite bands, the B-52's! They played their very first show at a house party here in Athens, Georgia, so I thought it would be a good idea to post about them on this very day. Raoul and I went to see their celebration show last week, and it was sure a party out of bounds for sure!

The B-52's at the Classic Center 1
I have loved the B-52's since the first time I saw the video for Love Shack on MTV. Yeah, remember when MTV played videos? I thought they were so different than anything I had ever seen before! I loved their clothes and that they were all having a party with all their friends. I was fifteen years old. They were colorful, futuristic, and vintage - all at the same time! I did some research into the band and I was hooked. I bought their entire back catalog at Camelot Music on cassette.

The B-52's at the Classic Center 3
I was obsessed! I watched the MTV Rocumentary about them, I put up posters, I wrote to Sue 52 at the fan club. I drew pictures. I clipped magazines - anything B-52's related I soaked up like a sponge!

The B-52's at the Classic Center 4
The B's did many of my favorites from long ago, like "Mesopotamia," "Lava," and "Private Idaho." I also really liked their new songs, too. It was a great show all around.

The B-52's at the Classic Center 6

The B-52's at the Classic Center 5

The B-52's at the Classic Center 7
Our seats were in the balcony section. I am short, and I wanted to be able to see, so we were up high for this show. I think we got stuck with people who really were not familiar with the B-52's music, and they thought the opener band, Tunabunny, was a little strange. I am not sure what sort of show they expected, especially when the B-52's sing about rock lobsters, outer space, and green poodles, but right after Love Shack they were outta there!

The B-52's at the Classic Center 8
We were thrilled to have seen the B-52's show for their anniversary! Lots of lava love flowing! You can read a good article about the show here.





No comments:

Post a Comment